Event Management | Health & Safety
11 Miles, 150 Walkers, £20,000 Raised for the first Big Issue Foundation Night Walk.
• To orchestrate the first Big Issue Foundation Night Walk to be held in Birmingham.
• Design an 11 mile route to be walked throughout the night in Birmingham on Friday 5th October 2012.
• Raise £20,000 to support some of the most vulnerable individuals in Birmingham.
• Attract new and existing supporters of the Big Issue Foundation.
• Deliver a fun & memorable event that positions the walk as a ‘must do’ annual event in Birmingham.
• Devise a route that accommodates 150 walkers.
Event delivered by The Fair
• Managed event logistics; creation of a detailed route that displayed some of Birmingham’s proudest landmarks.
• Plotted check points for walkers at BrindleyPlace, SIFA Fireside Shelter, Edgbaston Cricket Ground and Martineau Gardens, with bands, PA systems, entertainment and refreshments at each one.
• Arranged for health and safety teams; both security and paramedics to accompany the walkers at all times.
• Liaised with local authority and city centre partnerships.
• The event raised more than £20,000.
• Over 100 walkers participated in the event.
• The first walkers crossed the finish line at 4.15am, and the last ones finished at 5.30am.
• 112 directional signs were placed around the streets of Birmingham and collected up as the walk progressed through the night.
“Thank you so much Big Cat for all of your help on the midnight walk and in the run up to this event. The night was a great success. It ran smoothly, and we have you to thank for that! We have also been getting some great feedback, so please could you pass on our thanks to everyone involved for all of their help, they were stars!”
Fiona Ashcroft – Head of National Events at The Big Issue Foundation.